Use “Back” for previous page or click: HOME
Poe Family in Rappahannock County, Virginia
Virginia, A History:
Fact, Fiction, Foolishness and the Fairfax
Elisabeth B. and C. E.
Page 349. chapter
on Mills and Streams
The Jordan comes on out, crosses Route 522 about three-quarters
of a mile north of Flint Hill, and takes a leisurely course, finally running
into the Rappahannock River a short distance north of Larragbee's
Kennels (old Keysville or Lottie). Sanfords's Mill, also
known as Cooksey's, was on the Jordan
west of Poe's Road, while Water's Mill was down near the mouth, east of the
The Walnut Branch already mentioned goes into the Rappahannock River below North's saw mill and just
below here was the old Wither's (Baggerly's)
Mill near an old road that went from Shootztown (Schutztown) near Wakefield Manor on Poe's Road to the Fiery
Run road. The Sandy
was near this Shootztown sport.
About one and three-quarters miles below Wither's,
or Beggarly's Mill on the Fauquier side, was Jett's
Mill. Then, down another mile, still on the Fauquier side, was Chancellor's
Mill, reached from Poe's Road by Chancellor's Mill Raod,
no longer in existence.
A piece of Poe's Road has been cut out now and it turns
west, hitting Route 522 opposite Wakefield
About two miles below Chancellor's Mill on the Rappahannock County
side, was Lewis' Mill, near the mouth of Buck Run as it came in from Fauquier.
This was fairly close to Poe's old road, and was reached by a short section of raod that is now closed.
We are now down to Water's Mill, already mentioned, on the
east side of Poe's Road on the Jordan River.
Next comes the intersection of Poe's Road, Route 637,
with Crest Hill Road,
Below Keysville (Lottie, or Larrabee's Kennels) about a half mile down on Hungry
(Hunger) Run, and on the east side of Poe's Road was Poe's Mill. Then,
down about the mouth of Hungry Run as it goes into the Rappahannock
was old Parker's Mill, served by Parker's Mill Road. About a mile and a half
downstream past Thom's Mill on the Fauquier side, another Parker's Mill (also
at times known as Thorn's) appears on the Rappahannock County side, and near the mouth of a
stream. This mill was served by an old road from Hackley's
Store, which was at Hackley's Cross Roads, east of
Ben Venue. About three-quarters of a mile below, on the Fauquier side, was Hackley's (Tapp's) Mill, on Tapp's Ford
Road, now Route 645. Downstream from this road
(645) White Oak Run comes into the Rappahannock
River from our county's
side, then Thumb Run from Fauquier. About a mile and a half below Hackley's Mill, but in Rappahannock County,
was Recto's Mill, also known at times as Hinson's and as Brigg's, near the end
of present Route 643. There is a ford here.
Below Route 643, Routh 669 comes
in as part of Rollins Ford Road,
but does not go to the River. Near this, on an old road now abandoned, was Juttrell's School (Possum
College), close to the Culpeper
Chapter on Roads and Transportation
In August, 1670, Francis Lederer
had explored the area from the Great Fork, the juncture of the Rappahannock and
Rapidan Rivers, to the Blue Ridge,
and marked trails. In the mid 1700s, William Poe, who had land in the
upper reaches of Battle Run as far back as 1737, and lived near Gaines Cross
Roads, laid off a road which roughly followed Lederer's
Trail. It is represented by the Present Route 637 from Route 211 west of Amissville to a sport near Wakefield Manor on Route 522
between Flint Hill and Huntly. The road from Washihngton via Fodderstack
staying west of present Route 522 to the connection with Poe's road and
continuing to the top of the mountain, was Chester's Road, named for
Captain Thomas Chester who owned property west of the Gap which bears his name.